Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Christmas Decorating According to Gen





Everyone has there own method of Christmas decorating. This is my method which is suitable for the busy person or the procrastinator, I am the latter. So here it is.



Day one:

Locate all the decorations, which in my case they are in four different places. Some are in my climb-in closet, so named because I have so much stuff in there it can no longer be called a walk-in closet, others are stored under my bed in plastic bins,as well as in an antique trunk and in the shed. The ornaments in the trunk are all my very fragile ones that I do not want anywhere else and once they are stored there the lid is closed and they are safe.

Now that all of these are located I bring them into the living room and open them, this way they will drive you crazy since everything is so visible. This helps to prevent the procrastinator from leaving it all there for too long.



Day Two:

Now that we have a nice mess in the living room or where ever else you decided to spread out it is time to tidy up a bit. The next step is to get out all the bowls, platters, etc. that you plan on using over the holidays, unwrap your bulbs and fill up the platters, bowls etc and place them all over the table tops, counters and so forth. This is also a good time to find hooks and put them somewhere handy so that when it is time to put up your tree there will be no frantic dash to the store to purchase some more. I myself have 2 or 3 unopened packages because I have done the frantic store run thinking I did not have any hooks only to discover them later.



Day 3:

Use all the boxes, containers etc., that have been emptied to store everyday ornaments, knick knacks and so on that are not required over the holiday season. Now you can put away all of these boxes and containers away and take a break. This gives your home the getting ready for Christmas feel.



Day 4:

Now that I have floor space once again I start placing various items around the house, such as the musical Santas, bows on my shower curtains, wreaths, well you get the idea. Leave all the bulbs where they are until you are ready to put up your tree. This is also a good time to toss in your favorite movie such as Christmas Vacation, It's A Wonderful Life or a good Christmas CD and maybe check out some eggnog to be sure you have the right mixing technique.



Day 5:

Now that wasn't so bad and today you get to put up your tree!! Of course if you are anything like me you will be calling yourself some pretty bad names while you untangle the lights for your tree. Every year I go through this and vow to put them away in some kind of orderly fashion so that they will not get tangled. However I never seem to be able to figure it out. So decorate your tree and have some fun. Once all the dishes containing the decorations are empty they can be washed and are then ready for use when company arrives, thus killing two birds with one stone so to speak. I am lucky enough to have a dish washer so 90% of them can go right into it along with my wine and drink glasses.

This is how I do my decorating so that I do not have to spend an entire day and then collapse from exhaustion.


"May All Your Weeds Be Wildflowers"
Planted by crazygramma at 6:32 AM 2 comments
 
All original content copyright crazygramma.