Friday, July 21, 2006
Defining Borders



No this is not a field of flowers, this is a shot of the garden off my deck and if you look close enough you'll be able to spot the Casa Blanca lily in bloom. When I came home Monday night I went out on the deck with my dog while she did her thing after being cooped up for 8 hours. The first thing that hit me was a wonderful scent drifting to me on a nice gentle evening breeze (I get home around 11:15pm) Of course being pretty dark I did not realize that the fragrance was coming from the lilies. Here is a better picture of them taken yesterday of the ones planted in the side garden.











Here is what I have been doing since my last blog. The area around my three rose bushes looked nice with the bushes in bloom and the baby breaths planted between and around them, however the grass that I had cut away was ragged looking and very uneven, so I re-defined the edges and gave it all a good weeding, while I was in the shed getting the right tools I spotted some dollar store fencing I had bought 3 years ago to use in the front garden so I put it to use. Because it was cheap some of the pieces would not snap together so I used white twist tags to hold it together in some spots. Here is the final outcome of almost two days of work. I am going to try and take some cutting from my lavender bush and plant it between the rose bushes.






Being on a roll and a glutton for punishment I went on to the area where my climbing rose bush is. I did not like the way I set up the two trellis's as they kept wavering in the wind and look kind of cheap. I pulled up one and put it against the 1st trellis to form a corner using twist tags once again to hold them snug together, cleaned up the edges and moved some bricks over to tidy up the other two sides,transplanted a few pansies around the base, which died quickly I guess it was too hot to try that. Anyways here is a picture.










Now I know you are all thinking that I would of stopped there. Not one your life I was in my glory at the outcome of these two areas so I went on to do one more. Here I did not have to use any twist tags LOL I moved the bricks out and weeded the area good making the garden roughly 6-8" wider and dug up the wooly thyme which I placed in the side garden where it begins. I dug up some other plants to transplant into this garden to help fill in some bare spots. Notice the area behind it? I am using the plastic stepping stones to form a small path between the two gardens and the black edging which I have a ton of I am going to use to make a path in the back garden as well.






Since this blog could become very large I am going to end it with this and do another one later today. My girlfriend Marlene and I are bad or good depending on your view of things, about calling each other about good deals we see while shopping. Marlene gave me a call on Monday morning to tell me about a bench with an attached arbor on sale at Walmart for $60.00. You know I had to have it. After about 2 hours I finally got it together. It was not that difficult but it is heavy and really should of been a two person job and once again no twist tags. Are you ready? Here it is.










My two favorite tools in the world are twist tags and a glue gun.
"May All Your Weeds Be Wildflowers"
Planted by crazygramma at 7:14 AM 6 comments
 
All original content copyright crazygramma.